Sunday, November 25, 2007

Restaurants Near Hacienda Sac Chich

In the 6 years I've lived in Merida I've never been to Hacienda Teya. It's in all the guide books and it's popular with the locals. It's about 20 minutes from Hacienda Sac Chich just off the Cancun-Merida Highway at km 12.

Update June 2008. I heard about a great nursery at the gates of Hacienda Teya and so off I went with my best Yucateca friend Josephina. The nursery was just great. They had a lot of beautiful mature tropical plants in a "musuem" and smaller versions for sale. To get to the restaurant at Teya you enter through a gift shop with just about the worse crap and ugliest shoes you can find in the hemisphere. That dear reader is a clue. The most interesting room is the waiting room with the photos of all the celebs who've graced the portals. The dining room is or was and I am sure it still is filled with the creme de la creme of Merida's old school diners who just loves them some corn starch sauce. The food is just plain awful. I did not see any toursist and everyone was very well mannered and very well dressed and they certainly did enjoy themselves. The vomitorium or bathroom has a certain charm. You can stand at the urinal and look into the waiting room. Just a really lovely experience.

El Principe Tutul Xiu is the very best place in the Yucatan to eat Poc Chuc. Poc Chuc is a dish of grilled pork marinated in sour orange. There are two locations with in 30 minutes of Sac Chich. A new one in the village of Oxkutzcab on the road from Mani. The original is in Mani. Here's a second opinion. It's my favorite restaurant.

The casual restaurant critic blogs on one of my favorite Yucatan Blogs, not the news. He has reviewed three restaurants near Sac Chich one is Sotuta de Peon which is a recently opened Museum and working hennequen plantation with a restaurant. And he has review a restaurant that has been closed every time I've looked for it. In Kanasin the first town on the old road to Acanceh and Sac Chich is La Susana Internacional a much recommended restaurant by the owners of hotel Mediomundo in Merida. Hacienda Tepich is one of the first restaurants we discovered out side of Merida. Our friends Salvador and Josephina were living at Sac Chich and they took us here for lunch. Having had a bunny in Paris for a pet I declined to eat the rabbit which is the speciality of the house. But I've had some of the best relleno negro ever here.

2 comments:

William Lawson said...

Well you SHOULD try Hacienda Teya. Hi there, it's the curmudgeon-y Casual Restaurant Critic here. I wanted to say that I loved all the reviews, especially the bad ones. It is always refreshing somehow to find a place so awful that it inspires one to write about the experience.

John Prentice Powell said...

I've tried it since....