Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Take Montejo North

Progresso
Elio Al Mare
calle 21 no.60 x 40 y38
01 969 935 0804

Everyone whom I trusts on matters of taste calls me the minute they discover Elio Al Mare. They obviously don't read my blog.
I've been enchanted by this place since I stumbled on it about a year ago. But each time I return, which is not often, it has been closed. I've only just gotten the phone number from a friend of a friend of the owner. The chef/owner is an Italian who had a restaurant for several years on the isla de Holbox. I don't think he's secured his license to sell liquor yet so you'll have to imagine you're sipping the perfect Greco di Tuffo with your seafood pasta. I cannot really remember what I ate a year ago but I remember being slightly stunned by the quality and a little surprised by the tab. I shall return....but I'll call first.

October 2009 They do have wine and beer now at Elio Al Mare but they are so inconsistent with there hours and closing days that I've found myself standing in front of the door stomping and screaming on too many occasions.

Saint Bonnet
Avenida Malecon x calle 28

The beach is the place to eat seafood. It's best to go when the weather is calm. When it's stormy they don't fish as they boats are tiny and they have never even heard of the life vest option. There is a new place hidden away down the beach that is owned by an Italian transplant from Holbox. Elio Al Mare is off the beaten path, thank the lord, and far from the tourist infested malecon of Progresso. Saint Bonnet is where we normally eat if we find outselves washed up on the beach in Progresso. If you go to San Bonnet, keep it simple. If you've just stumbled off a cruise ship you will most likely want to go eat, drink and scream "ariba" at Eladio's which is just a hop, skip and jump off the Pier from whence you came.

2 comments:

JMRM said...

"After almost 7 years in Merida I have a higher tolerance for bad decor."
Ouch.
La Pigua has terrible service, those guys must be the rudest waiters ever.

Pablo Quirarte said...

I second Pepe, i just went to La Pigua twice and i'll never come back.

Pablo